Christmas profiles

Started by Erica Howton on Saturday, December 14, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 30 posts
12/14/2013 at 5:22 PM

What Christmas related profiles are on Geni and who's related to them?

I watch "It's a Wonderful Life" (1946) often on Christmas, so I'm happy to find out that

Jimmy Stewart is my 15th cousin, twice removed.

http://www.geni.com/path/Erica+Isabel+Howton+c+is+related+to+James+...

12/14/2013 at 7:42 PM

Lionel Barrymore is my 16th cousin five times removed.
Lionel Barrymore

James "Jimmy" Stewart is your 17th cousin thrice removed.

John Smith
12/14/2013 at 8:33 PM

The Grinch
No relation.

John Smith
12/14/2013 at 8:37 PM

No relation to the Grinch's real father either.
; )
(No Name)

John Smith
12/14/2013 at 8:41 PM

Gene Autry, 22nd cousin once removed.

Gene Autry

"Autry is best known today for his Christmas holiday songs, "Here Comes Santa Claus" (which he wrote), "Frosty the Snowman", and his biggest hit, "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer."

12/14/2013 at 8:59 PM

No relation to Charles Dickens, who seems to have "Started family tree"

Which does not seem to include Ebenezer Scrooge of the Duck family, whom I've reported, sadly, as a "fake" profile. Perhaps the same should be done for Monsieur Grinch?

John Smith
12/14/2013 at 9:16 PM

Take a look at Mr. Grinch. All the family members viewable should be reported as "fake", in my opinion. (And on a side note, I'm pretty sure that most of the living members of the royal families would not be pleased to see their profiles.)
But to get back on track, and speaking of The Christ Mass . . .

Jesus
No relation . . .no path found.

John Smith
12/14/2013 at 9:27 PM

"The Bishop's Wife" is one of my Christmas Favorites (for reasons all-too-well known by those who really know me) and so "Archie", who plays the "visiting Angel" (and who is the ex-husband of the ex-wife of my fourth cousin five times removed) is worth a mention.
Cary Grant

12/14/2013 at 10:07 PM

Virginia O'Hanlon believed in Santa up to the end. No connection into the big tree but anyone is welcome to join in, build out her family, and help find one.

Same for reporting fakes - anyone can do. :)

12/14/2013 at 11:32 PM

I looked for a list of "christmas movies" and somewhat oddly, "The Apartment" is thought one here: http://www.roundtablepictures.com/2010/12/blue-christmas-billy-wild...

No relstionship to Billy Wilder but Shirley MacLaine is my 16th cousin, twice removed.

John Smith
12/15/2013 at 2:50 AM

Cornelius, who is my 13th cousin thrice removed, played the inventor of a "non-nutritive cereal varnish" in another favorite yuletide movie.
This one is a "tragi-comedy" about a Christmas Vacation in constant crisis, and the level of frustration experienced by the hero of the story reminds me of how Geni makes me feel, sometimes. ;)

Chevy Chase

12/16/2013 at 1:16 AM

so Jesus of Nazareth is apparently my 62nd great uncle. Is everyone else related to him too??? I wonder about this

12/16/2013 at 4:24 AM

Jesus of Nazareth is my 55th great uncle.

12/16/2013 at 2:37 PM

I'm looking at a list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best-selling_Christmas/holiday_albums_...

In the 1940's, it was Bing Crosby, my 12th cousin 4 times removed

In 1998 Céline Dion , my 23rd cousin once removed, topped the holiday music charts

12/19/2013 at 10:52 PM

Bing Crosby is my 12th cousin twice removed. Love White Christmas!

12/20/2013 at 2:23 PM

A

Thank you for that card. So it's true then - Santa Claus is Finnish? :)

Private User
12/20/2013 at 2:44 PM

Santa Claus has never been Finnish, they don't even have a "nisse" tradition (which the modern santa tradition is baed on, as i Norway).

Finland have however invested a lot commercially to "steal" santa from the other nordic countries ;-) For them it is a commercial aspect,not traditionally.

12/20/2013 at 3:17 PM

I was able to connect Virginia O'Hanlon, "Santa's Friend," to "the big tree", and now Bjørn P. Brox is Virginia O'Hanlon's 24th cousin once removed!

http://geni.com/DjBf0

(of course I need to double check some of those connections still)

12/21/2013 at 3:21 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haltija

"Joulutonttu is Finnish for Christmas elf. Unlike some Christmas elves, the Finnish Joulutonttu is thought not to have pointy ears."

http://nordic-aputsiaq.blogspot.com/2012/11/father-christmas-and-hi...

Father Christmas and his birch bark backpack...

John Smith
12/21/2013 at 7:04 PM

No profile found for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Shepherd#Print

Most people (don't) know him as the writer of the biographical stories that led to the making of The Christmas Story . . .you know, the one with the sexy leg lamp prize.

12/27/2013 at 1:11 AM

Here's the English translation of the Wiki page:

More than 300 years ago, people believed that decorate the New Year tree they will change the evil forces of good. Already in ancient times among the Russian people told stories about Grandfather Frost - vicious, nasty snow-covered fields and forests of the holder, which imported the cold, snow and blizzards. Opening as feared and respected.

Times of Peter the Great Grandfather Frost character changed. He became a benevolent white long coat and the vakoiseen hair wearing a hat and a stick bag with a rolling long-bearded Santa -like man, a distributor of gifts for children. With Grandfather Frost is the granddaughter Snegurochka .

==============

I see a trend in history of making something originally frightening into something kinder and more benevolent. Interesting!

Here's to world peace.

Private User
12/28/2013 at 3:54 AM

I got bored and built trees of deceased people named "Merry Christmas," the other day. Just thought I'd share. You'll have to do a name search for those profiles.

12/28/2013 at 10:12 AM

Merry Christmas
1930 United States Federal Census
Birth: Circa 1921 - Missouri, United States
Residence: 1930 - San Francisco (Districts 1-250), San Francisco, California, USA
Parents: Herbert M Christmas, Lulu Christmas

Poor Merry. What's the bet she changed her name?

12/28/2013 at 10:23 AM

I grew up with a school chum named Merry Christmas. Don't remember her last name. Sorensen, maybe. I'll have to ask my sisters if they remember.

Private User
12/28/2013 at 10:24 AM

LOL Erica. Right?

One of them was a male, and his name was Merry.

Other "funny" names (they aren't on Geni to the best of my knowledge) were:
Xmas Flack (b. circa 1920)
Xmas Towers (b. circa 1920)
Merry Xmas Davis (b. circa 1896)

12/28/2013 at 6:28 PM

Hi, Glad you did something. You deserved a break. I really appreciated all the work you did last week. I hope you continue. Did not understand
what you meant about managing blocks. I have only been doing this for 2 weeks and I am not a pro like you. I am overwhelmed at times.
Will get back to filling in on the Otis famly later on.
Hey you put the "Merry" in my xmas and I thought I'd just share.
Happy New Years!

8/20/2014 at 11:50 AM

Jesus The Christ of Nazareth is your 33rd great grandfather's wife's first cousin's wife's first cousin once removed. That's through the Welsh or Irish kings route, and seems to shortcut a whole lot of generations and include some individuals listed as (Fictional). I wonder how close the relationship would be without those. Muhammad is my 36th great grandfather, and King David is my 93rd great grandfather, by way of the Babylonian exilarchs.

8/20/2014 at 7:35 PM

"Merry Xmas Davis (b. circa 1896)"

That might be the one Justin went to school with ;P

8/20/2014 at 8:03 PM

That's her. I remember her well ;)

Showing all 30 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion