Josiah Lewis-Parker of Little PeDee Reserve of Old Cheraws - Posting found information on Josiah Lewis (Parker)

Started by Susanne Floyd on Saturday, September 4, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 17 posts

Post to collect found information on Josiah Lewis for discussion -

Found this profile on Geni:

Josiah Lewis

Does not appear at first glance to be the same.

----
'''Josiah Lewis'''
Mentioned on deed as recipient of lands originating from "Chiief of Churruh Thomas Parker to John Parker and on to Josiah Lewis, land were multiple and tied to Moses Floyd and filipped by Choctaw Bill wihen the Kingston Co Petition for a more fair court was unsuccessful to allow the Vets of the Colonial Wars whose bounty reserve on the Little Pee Dee in Old Cheraw's District which was formed for them, was unsuccessful to allow them guns as it was against Brit law for natives to have guns. Josiah Lews was noted in Horry Co deeds and also near the NC / SC Border Line, on the Waggamaw River and the plantation was the fulcrum of the wheel to supply chain of the New Hanover Cheraw fighters over to the Fishing Creek area, in the Rev War.----

http://www.hchsonline.org/land/plata.html

16 Josiah LEWIS: 1000 acres on Brown Sw., bd. by Ezekiel Hill, Mr. Brockington, David Cosway, Josiah Lewis, vacant. 6 Jan 1803 X of I

17 Josiah LEWIS: 1000 acres S side Brown Sw. waters of Little Peedee River., bd. by Ezekiel Hill, William Davis, Josiah Lewis, vacant. 6 Jan 1803 X of I

21 Josiah LEWIS, Sen.: 1,000 acres on the District(?) side of Little Peedee in Gunters Island, bd. by Whemingway & Mark Reynolds, John Richards, sd. River. 10 Jan 1803 29 II

54 Josiah LEWIS: 1000 acres on Brown Sw. Bay and the Yellow Bay, bd. by Jehu Baker, Moses Floyd, not known, Josiah Lewis: Note forwd by Captn. Carter. 8 Apr 1805 16 May 1805

55 Josiah LEWIS: 816 acres NE side of Little Pee Dee R., bd. by John Richardson, William Lewis and Daniel McQueen, Enos James, John McQueen, William Lewis, Abram Skipper and Wiulliam McQueen, Charles Brown. Note: forwd by Captn. Carter. 13 Apr 1805 16 May 1805

70 Josiah LEWIS and Zachariah LEWIS: 1000 acres NE side Little Pee Dee on the Long Br. & other brs. of Pleasant Meadow Sw. waters of sd. River, bd. by Darby Mitheart, Charles Edwards, John William Lewis, William Graham, vacant. Note: gave Z. Lewis. 21 Jun 1808 VI 27 1808

http://www.hchsonline.org/land/platb.html

B9 Josiah LEWIS: 58 acres betw. N & S prong of Chinners Sw., bd. by Samuel Lewis, Moses Floyd, gr. to Abraham Skipper. Note: Sent by W. Hem 24 Sep 1811 16[!] Sep 1811.

B10 Zechariah LEWIS & Samuel LEWIS: 1,000 acres, Spring Sw. & branches of Pometto Sw., bd. by gr. to Benjamin Moore, Robert Jordan, not known, gr. to David Causey, gr. to Josiah Lewis, gr. to Constantine Newton, gr. toJohn Hux. Note: Sent by W. Hemingsay 24 Sep 1811 17[!] Sep 1811

B19 Moses HARRALSON: 1,000 acres between Pleasant Meadow and Mitchell Sw. on Rooty Branch, bd. by gr. to Thomas Grainger & James Edwards, William Graham, Joseph Graham, James Norton, Charles Edwards. Note: Sent by Josiah Lewis. 13 Feb 1812 14 Feb 1812

B20b John C. GRAINGER: 1,000 acres S side Play Card Sw on head of Breakfast Br. & the Mill Br., bd. by Joseph Graham, Simon Godwin, est. of Thos. Carson(?), vacant. Note: Sent by Josiah Lewis. 5 Mar 1812 11 Mar 1812

B24 Geroge Britton SMITH: 630 acres on Maple Sw. & Boggy Br., bd. by gr. to Moses Floyd, gr. to George Smith, Thomas Durant, James Holmes, gr. to William Snow. Note: Sent by J. Lewis 29 Oct [1812] 30 Oct 1812

http://genealogytrails.com/scar/horry/wills.htm - Will of Josiah Lewis

Lists wife Martha Lewis; daughter Susannah Lewis, daughter Elener Roberts, daughter Sarah Spears, and granddaughter Meteidaan Lewis

Executors: Isaac Roberts, William Spears and George Elvis March 27, 1830

Rec Oct 16, 1833

Will notes his three daughters, two sons in law and wife Martha.

Now this just cropped up on my radar and not sure....

https://www.senclewises.com/josiahlewisjr.html

Josiah Lewis, Jr. moved his family to Horry County, SC in 1789 after receiving a sizeable grant of land, and he shows up in the 1790 Census for Georgetown District, Prince George Parish. He purchased quite a bit of land in Horry County from 1789 to 1813. Josiah Lewis, Jr. was a Deputy Surveyor (DS) in South Carolina and he surveyed many tracts of land in both Horry County and Marion County, SC - from 1791 to 1820. Josiah died in Horry County in 1833.

Land transaction records indicate that Josiah's second wife's name was Mary, but family members insist her name was Martha. This leads the Author to speculate that perhaps Josiah had a previously unidentified son also named Josiah who was married to Mary - but no other evidence has been found to prove/disprove this speculation.

Children* Date Born Date Died Date Married Who Married

Samuel Lewis* 1774?? Sarah ?

Susannah Lewis c.1778 ? Never Never

Sarah Lewis c.1780. ? ? William Spears

Eleanor Lewis c.1790 ? ? Isaac Roberts

* Born in Bladen County, NC

So, does the above refer to the grant of land from "Chief of Churrah" Thomas Parker It has seemed he may have been his adopted son.

This https://www.senclewises.com/josiahlewis.html may give info on his real father. My concern is no sources are attached. Always a red flag, but worth checking out. It may be that Josiah Sr. in the above is a different Josiah or it may be the establishment of the Bladen/Robeson Counties connection. Geography is everything.

There are no biological children of the placeholder "Chief of Churrah" as he was denoted as the neighbor and soldier of Col Eaton of Tabb's Creek. The land that went to Josiah Lewis was a community estate, of the community of Old Cheraw's, and it was flipped by Moses Floyd who put the proceeds with Choctaw Bill, pre BIA Indian Agent and Munitions Supplier for War of 1812. The land that Moses Floyd was community property and went to the Methodist Church as buyers and the money to the war effort.

Elizabeth (Spier) Lewis is the right group.

That part all makes sense. Just trying to get it all laid out including name of wife. May be two wives. Martha is named in the will. The senclewises.com site suggests there was a Miss Hill as first wife.

Found a William Spears in the 1790 census for Georgetown District, Prince Frederick's Parish, (now Horry County). https://www2.census.gov/library/publications/decennial/1790/heads_o... - page 52.

Check on ydna. The John Parker that goes to the Tabb Creek Parkers were not Parkers. They took on the name. This group of Lewis' were not Warner Hall Lewis' and also took on the name.

The Chief of Churrah, Thomas Parker of Tabb's Creek was of a line that took on the name Parker. Josiah's mom very much seems to be the wife of Chief of Churrah, Winnifred,

I am trying to make the connection to Elizabeth (Spier) Lewis work for Sarah Spears. Sarah was according to the will a daughter of Josiah Lewis and Martha ? . Who is Elizabeth? She seems like someone else. Not sure I understand that connection.

I would say yes to the Winnifred part for sure as that would make the connection for Thomas Parker to leave the property to Josiah.

Yes, to them not being Warner Hall. Neither was Patience Harrelson I think there may be some connection there too.

It is all getting interesting. :-)

The Spier Family of Georgetown are the general family....for Sarah Lewis to marry into...

Yep. Just trying to make connection. Also trying to decipher if Josiah had two wives. Could he have had 1st wife Hill and that the mother of Lewis Parker and then 2nd wife Martha who had the three daughters? There was a profile for Sarah Lewis Spears out there that I merged and it seems to shake out that way once cleaned up. However, the Elizabeth McQueen as a sister is not correct, I don't think.

I have an Elizabeth Caroline McQueen daughter of S.C. State Senator Joel Barcey Skipper and his wife was Elizabeth Ann Skipper who maiden name we do not know and frankly, the time would be right if Josiah had a daughter named Elizabeth that she could be his, not her daughter his. More things to ponder. More reasons to see the whole will.

It was Joel B. Skipper's brother Samuel who was married to Becky Roberts, daughter of Elener Lewis Roberts. The families knew each other, for sure.

Sarah will have to be cleaned up after the merger and I suppose the two wives issue of Josiah sorted. Also, do we have Winnifred as the biological mother instead of Lucy Hill. I am not sure of that Lucy Hill source. It merged in.

http://www.archivesindex.sc.gov/ArchivesImages/S108092/S10809200880...

Payment for 33 days of military service in the American Revolution. Attached the PDF to his profile. Not sure of the family of parents that came in on the merge. May be correct or not. More work needs to be done to check them out.

Father in the merge is listed with the DAR and no Josiah as his son, but Josiah would have his own right to that if anyone wanted it.

Added the occupation of Surveyor to his profile as about 800 land platts in the SC archives are by his hand. He was educated for the times given his productivity and some of the clients that he had.

Nice document.

I see you have been working on Josiah too, Private. Let me know if I need to change anything or if you think it is wrong. I found this noting his service with General Francis Marion:

"Josiah Lewis" found on the roster of Non-commissioned officers and privates who served under Revolutionary War General Francis Marion, Source V 32 retrieved from https://sciway3.net/proctor/revwar/swampfox_NCO_L.html

I have added him to the Revolutionary War Soldiers Project (and a few others) based on that information and the document for his service that I attached.

Looking good.

Showing all 17 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion